One Norwegian Alaskan in Madison.




E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Am almost caught up with readings for one class. The others loom. I decided somewhere along the way that I like the frantic, heart palpitation-inducing stress of finishing my paper at 3:29 so that I'll have that one minute margin to sprint it to the professor's office on the third floor of the building two blocks away. This wasn't a concious decision, but I haven't enough willpower at the moment to change it.

All three of my lovely roommates are blowing with the wind to various parts within the next few weeks, while I will stay on to triage my educational career. It's not that bad, according to my advisor, but I've been royally knocked off my "impervious to failure" pedestal. It's about time, I guess. High school pursuaded me that studying wasn't usually necessary, and it's taken till now for college to convince me otherwise. So this summer I'll be sitting in a hole getting to know my organic chem book intimately, and eating from time to time. With the content of two o-chem quarters compressed into eight weeks instead of twenty, I'm forecasting an exam each week or so. Mmm...tasty.

I need roommates, though I don't expect to see them much in my hole. Lindsay (Saralita's old and future roomie and all-around awesome girl) says she can stay for a month or two, but I've yet to hear from Jenny (my old and hopefully future roomie who's off exploring France at the moment), so I may be begging old acquaintances and those I don't know at all to come live with me. Should be a good time to get my pursuasive powers honed.

With this extra dose of edumication prescribed over the summer I've been chewing and mulling about Biochem. Why am I in this major? Did I ever really like Gen Chem, or my run-in with O Chem? Not as much as physics and calc, if I recall. Actually, I only liked being able to do them, and do them well. I didn't have to put in that much effort to get good results. But I'm not interested in being a physicist or mathematician - I wanna be a Biochem major, dammit. It just seems right. I'm not sure whether I'm just scared to really consider other majors, or whether I'm being...intuitive? I won't know till afterwards. Or if a coconut hits me on the head and I wise up.

Biochem (or any chem, evidently :P) is the challenge that I...need?...was looking for? I'm just being a pansy and moaning about it. It's hard. Other people can do it, though, and I want/am going to be one of them...after this summer, when I miraculously get my act together. Have I ever mentioned how much I enjoy my advisor? She pretty much reads me like a book, tells me to shape up (kindly), and tells me why it's not so bad and how this, this, and this are all I need to do to be on track. I feel lucky to have her advising me, since she's the main Biochem professor and I'll be seeing a lot of her in two years. By then I hope I'll have figured out how to be a good student.

My ponytail is just long enough to put high on my head and whip around like a helicoptor propeller blade. I missed that. :D


2 Responses to “”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    sounds like you've discovered the curse of the biochem major. it's a love/hate relationship, especially with orgo. sure, other things are fun and come much easier, but nothing can sate that masochistic thirst the way biochemistry can.

  2. Blogger Rena 

    Come back here, you pansy, and fight like a man! I'll bite your legs off!

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

  • Homebase Madison, Wisconsin
  • I was raised in Alaska, am the shortest person in my family, and I can wiggle my ears.
  • My profile
    This plugin requires Adobe Flash 9.

Archives